Framestore Sculpting Challenge

For the Framestore Sculping Challenge I decided to scult a nose for it. We were all told to go into Mudbox and start sculpting from a sphere, I decided to do a nose for this to keep things simple, I think it turned out alright although I’d like to do this again expect try and sculpt a full face. I’m happy that it looks good but I could improve by adding more detail onto it and studing anatomy more.

Advertisements

Mudbox – Basic Rock

hgjgjg.PNG

With Tony we made a sphere by turbo smoothing a cube, which is better for topology and smoothing groups. we then used the grab tool to pull it and make it look more defined. Next I used the flatten tool to try and make it look rugged and sharp by targeting corners and rounder areas.

TexturesCom_Cliffs0356_1_seamless_S.jpg

Once we were okay with what the model looked like we then found a texture image online and then use a painting stamp image tool to paint the image onto the rock which I thought was a very interesting feature.

I’m happy that this all turned out okay but I wish the model itself could have looked better and maybe chose a different texture. I think I’m okay with Mudbox but could be much better and could improve by spending more time on it.

Normal Map Baking

cubi.png

This is the first time I’ve used substance painter and already think it would be much easier to use as a part of the pipeline when I’m more comfortable with the software. I started out by creating height by messing with the alphas in the shelf and applying them to the model. After I finished that I exported the height levels by turning them into a normal map so I could them use it to bake all my other maps. For the textures I applied a simple worn steel material and turned up the grunge scale, then after for the rust I created a black mask so it was transparent and used a generator to create that effect.

I’m pretty happy with how the texture looks and I understand how to use the software more but I wish it could have went a little bit more smoothly.

Bed Model

I finished modelling my bed and it took longer than it should have. I made the bed frame first which I just followed to specifications on IKEA and measured my drawers to make sure everything fit right. To make the bed frame I created just the end board of the bed and duplicated it. After I bridged the two copies to create the bed frame. The pillows and quilt I left as box models and then turbo smoothed for the sake of a render, but I simulated them as cloth to save time and to experiment with the software.

I’m happy I didn’t have to mess with Mudbox to create wrinkles because that would have taken a long time to do, I’m fairly confident I can model furniture well now. I think I could have done better by texturing it but I was afraid it might stretch it and then it would just look bad. I could definitely improve with my colour scheme and rendering techniques.